The Pros and Cons of Adding a New Addition to Your Home
There are many reasons why you might want an addition to your home. If you’ve outgrown your starter home, you’re looking to expand your family by having another baby or letting your in-laws move in, or you want more space to grow in, it might be time to build an addition. Maybe you feel hesitant to proceed further because you’re unsure of the cost or even where to begin, so you’ve started your search for “house addition contractors near me.” In that case, our friendly professionals at Twin Brook Construction can answer any questions you might have and provide solutions that work within your budget.
In today’s blog from Twin Brook Construction, we will highlight the pros and cons of adding an addition to your home so you can decide if it’s the right move for you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Pros of Adding an Addition to Your Home
If you’re stumbling over boxes and your children’s athletic gear every time you walk in the front door and wish you had another room for storage, then it might be time to add an addition to your home. Let’s look at some of the pros of adding an addition to your home:
- Space for the kids: If the amount of things you have in your home has become an issue and you are tired of tripping and moving things all the time, an addition makes perfect sense. An addition doesn’t have to be an entirely new wing; it could be as small as a 12-feet by 12-feet bedroom for your teenager that needs their own space. Likewise, if you find it challenging to share a washroom with your expanding family and want to add another bathroom, the experts at Twin Brook Construction can come in and finish the job in record time.
- In-law suite: With so much uncertainty in the job market and rising housing costs, the idea of the kids moving back home or your aging parents needing a place to stay is becoming more common. It’s not just about saving money either. It’s nice to know that if you need to check on someone, you only have to go to the other side of the house.
- Increased home value: Another great benefit of adding an addition to your home is the increase in the value of your house. Whether you choose to add a new family room, a bathroom, or an in-law suite, the chances are that you will increase the value of your house by thousands of dollars.
- Gain a source of extra income: If you worry that your monthly budget may fall short in the future due to a job loss or other extenuating circumstances, adding a room to your home might be a good investment. You will have an additional source of income if you choose to rent out the space.
When searching for “house addition contractors near me” online, you want to ensure that the contractors you hire are licensed and insured. You also want to ensure that they show up when they say they will finish the job on time.
Cons of Adding an Addition to Your Home
One of the most challenging things to consider when considering an addition to your home is choosing the contractor. You want dependability and a price that works within your budget. Let’s look at some of the cons to consider when adding an addition to your home:
- How much will it cost: Home renovation costs depend on what materials are used and how much the contractor charges. Having a budget for both can make things go a lot smoother.
- Finding a contractor: Perhaps just as important as establishing a budget for your project, finding a reliable, licensed, and insured contractor is the key to a successful project. Many contractors say they can do the job, but homeowners are often stuck with unfinished projects and out thousands of dollars because of broken promises and poor workmanship.
Ensure the contractor you select to add an addition to your home is licensed by the state and stands behind their work. Contact Twin Brook Construction for a dependable, reliable upgrade to your home.
Let the Experts at Twin Brook Construction Help with Your Addition
Adding an addition to your home is a big decision, and you may be feeling overwhelmed by your concerns. We can answer your questions and offer suggestions about making adding an addition to your home as easy as possible. The next time you search for “house addition contractors near me,” choose the building pros here at Twin Brook Construction. We’ve been serving Lancaster and the surrounding area since 2012, so contact us today for a free consultation.